Our new Production and Curatorial Specialists will work across the department on a range of projects and initiatives that may include exhibition production, curation and writing, interpretation, event production, and assisting in the development and delivery of public programmes and education activities which engage a wide range of audiences.
Our Specialists will have an interest in any one of these areas, and relevant experience to make a contribution to ArtScience Museum’s busy programme of exhibitions and events. These are exciting roles for energetic and driven professionals wishing to take the next step in their career.
Background: ArtScience Museum
ArtScience Museum at Marina Bay Sands is the cultural institution in Singapore that explores the intersection between art, science, technology and culture. Since opening in February 2011, the museum has staged large-scale exhibitions by some of the world’s major artists, including Leonardo da Vinci, Salvador Dalí, Andy Warhol, Vincent Van Gogh, and M.C. Escher, as well as showing work by contemporary artists including Theo Jansen, Lynette Wallworth, Ryoji Ikeda, Yang Yongliang, Semiconductor, Olafur Eliasson, Anish Kapoor, Mariko Mori and many more. The museum has also presented significant exhibitions that explore aspects of science, including big data, particle physics, natural history, marine biology, cosmology and space exploration.
Featuring 21 gallery spaces totaling nearly 5000m2, the museum’s lotus-inspired building has staged major international exhibitions in partnership with renowned museums and galleries around the world, including the British Museum and the Natural History Museum in London, the American Museum of Natural History in New York; CCCB in Barcelona; the Ambrosiana in Milan; Mori Art Museum in Tokyo; the Australian Centre for Moving Image in Melbourne and many others.
ArtScience Museum also originates and produces exhibitions in-house, and runs a full programme of education, events, activities and learning opportunities for a wide range of audiences.
The Programmes, Exhibitions and Museum Services (PEMS) department at ArtScience Museum realises an ambitious programme of temporary and permanent exhibitions, commissions, education activities, film and public programmes, as well as delivering associated print such as guides, catalogues etc., and online content.
ArtScience Museum is part of the Attractions department at Marina Bay Sands, and is led by Honor Harger, Vice President of ArtScience Museum and Attractions.
More information can be found here: http://www.marinabaysands.com/museum/
DESCRIPTION OF THE ROLE
The role of Production and Curatorial Specialist is a 12-month employment contract.
Specialists will work across Programmes, Exhibitions and Museum Services (PEMS) at ArtScience Museum. This opportunity will provide the postholders with an opportunity to express their creativity and demonstrate their organisational and delivery skills across a broad range of activities.
The Specialists will work closely with the Producers and Curators in the PEMS department and will support in the research, preparation, management and delivery of selected exhibitions and programmes at ArtScience Museum.
Areas of work might include:
- Exhibitions – providing support to the Curators and Producers in the Exhibitions team with exhibition research, through development to the final delivery and installation of exhibition projects.
- Interpretation and writing – researching, writing and copy-editing texts for exhibitions and prorgrammes
- Public programmes and education – researching, planning and implementing of programmes and education events, including talks, workshops, conferences, tours and learning opportunities for a wide range of audiences.
- Film and VR – working with Curators and Producers on the programme of ArtScience Museum’s Cinema and VR Gallery, including research, production and delivery
Specialists will perform well in at least two of the above areas of work but are not expected to be experts in all these areas. On the job training and mentoring will be provided as needed.
- Support the planning and delivery of exhibitions, events and programmes at ArtScience Museum, working closely with Producers and Curators across the teams, as well as external partners
- Assist Producers and Curators with writing curatorial and interpretation texts, as well as copy-editing texts
- Assist with the financial planning of exhibitions and programmes, including obtaining quotes for services, raising orders, processing invoices
- Assist with the development, monitoring and management of budgets for exhibitions and programmes
- Assist in the preparation of contracts for partners, artists, and other service providers
- Support Producers and Curators in acquiring loans for exhibitions, including the preparation of loan documentation, administration of loan requests and ensuring that loan conditions are met
- Arrange accommodation and travel and for visiting speakers, artists, and partners
- Assist with the maintenance of files and archives
- Work closely with ArtScience Museum teams, including Visitor Experience, Administration., Business Development and PEMS, plus other departments at Marina Bay Sands, including Facilities, Legal, Procurement, Marketing and Communications, as necessary ensuring clear, respectful communication
- Any other duties appropriate to the role as requested by PEMS to support exhibitions or events at the museum
- Minimum of two years’ experience of delivering projects in a museum, gallery, science centre or performing arts organisation, or in the event production industry
- Relevant past experience in producing cultural content such as exhibitions, education programmes or public events
- Experience in event management and production
- Experience with marketing museum exhibitions and programmes
- Experience with writing curatorial and interpretative texts
- Experience working with film and moving image programmes
- Experience working on virtual reality or augmented reality projects
2. Abilities, Knowledge and Skills
- A strong and demonstrable interest in the subjects ArtScience Museum is engaged in, and a curiosity about the fields of art, science, technology and culture
- Degree, relevant professional qualification, or strong professional experience in the subject areas ArtScience Museum is engaged with
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Good communication skills and accuracy in written communication
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle sensitive situations with diplomacy
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently and the ability to find your feet quickly in a fast-paced work environment
- Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and video conferencing tools
- Knowledge of current and topical issues around the arts, science and new technologies
- Knowledge of museum standards
- Knowledge of best practice in event management
- Knowledge of Workplace Safety and Health procedures, Permits to Work etc.
3. Personal Characteristics / Attributes
- Creative and positive orientation, focused on outcomes and solutions
- Independent, and self-motivated
- The ability to work under pressure and handle challenging situations
- Willingness to work flexibly and able to multitask efficiently
- Be able to make decisions and accept responsibility
- A team player with good interpersonal skills
You agree that it is a condition of employment that you adhere to and abide by all rules, regulations, policies and procedures including without limitation the rules of conduct of the Company.